Midsummers!

So it was Midsummer's Day and Eve, on 23rd of June - big deal - as it is the central event of the summer, my birthday :) ...and so this was my 27th and Adelaide's 2nd.

Has been quiet around here, as three days before it we were home all alone - meaning me and Adelaide. Which is very unusual, as Mr. Husband even works from home often, so he is around a lot. Almost like the first time ever I had to manage all on my own.. He had a work trip to Paris. And it was a bit scary. Especially the evenings and bedtime, as he is in charge of those mostly.
But we managed! :) And it wasn't so bad. Adelaide is so big already, that it's fun to be with her.. And, I guess, I am complaining usually, that I'm tired and so on.. But if something have to do, then have to do. Had no choice. So even together with Adelaide I managed to find my quiet moments to drink some tea with a cookie (she would eat a peach - give her a peach, and there is peace and quiet around home for 5 minutes! :D), so we survived. The bedtime.. well, the first night was quite bad, took 2 hours until she finally fell asleep.. But the second night was great. :)

I actually wanted to plan something special for our days of just girls at home.. But it didn't work out that way. Had some things to do around home, and the days go fast that way.
But we were more than happy to welcome our daddy back home.

..But back to Midsummer's. Last year she was really tiny, so we celebrated it at home, and my family came to visit.
This year we decided it was time to go to Mr. Husband's home island Hiiumaa. A calm family celebration was expected at their country home.

As it is my birthday, this celebration has always been very special to me.. I like the traditions, and I like to have my extra traditions - like waking up with flowers and presents. :)

One of the first things to do though -  is to make the wreath from wild flowers.. And this was the first year, when I made one for Adelaide as well.



She didn't like it though, at all. :D It was hard (impossible) to keep it on even to make a picture..


But no big deal, once we went to the family gathering, where were 10 little children.. They all loved it, and were taking turns in wearing it. :D (Other Estonians had not made them, as they somehow are forgetting this tradition. In Latvia it is very alive, and I have it every year.)


The family gathering was nice.. Preparing food, being together.. I somehow was feeling tired and not very social, but Adelaide was thriving in this environment.
She really loved it.. And didn't need us at all.
She could play with all the other children (well most of them were a bit older, so she just is trying to catch them and join in.. but that's fun enough) and all the new toys.


She could also just run around.. Away from us, who knows, where she wants to go.. She does this in new and interesting places. Not at home, where she just wants to sit in my lap all day long.


She was also EATING. :D It's cute.. How she loves everything. And now she is old enough, we also let her eat (almost) everything. She was stuffing herself with lightly salted cucumbers, watermelon and strawberries..



I seriously don't know, how many she ate, but she couldn't stop. And she even was so smart to take the green stem away herself. :)

There also was a swing, that she loves..


And Midsummer's bonfire, of course..


We had planned to stay in a tent for night.. And wait for the sunrise.
But.. Well, it didn't quite work out that way. After such a long and rich day, we were all exhausted, and it seemed too impossible to make her sleep in the tent.. And I wasn't so thrilled anymore about it. So we went home (Mr. Husband's parents home) instead. Which was a great choice, as it started raining at night.
But we managed to get a glimpse of the sunset in the sea on our way home..


It was a nice Midsummer's, especially for Adelaide. She really, really enjoys these gatherings and her little relatives.. I believe, she will enjoy them more and more in the future.

Comments

Popular Posts