She's drawing people

Last week I was suddenly surprised by development in Adelaide's drawings. She had drawn a person! A little girl, friend who we visit often. It was recognizable, for the first time ever! Really, circle for head, long legs and some eyes or something.. This was one of the first person-drawings.


She has been drawing like this for a week now, at first only this particular girl, then some animals and other people.. They always have a head and long legs, sometimes more specific features.

Today's drawing was so precise. You would think someone helped, but no, it was all her. And I even haven't drawn any people lately myself, haven't even modeled this in any particular way.


Right after this I suggested that she drew Jasmiina. And she did, she drew at first herself - Adelaide and then Jasmiina, and then she drew our cat! (4 legs and everything) And me, behind Jasmiina (I asked and she said that yes, Jasmiina is in my lap), and then - issi (Mr. Husband), the biggest one.


I filmed while she was drawing this.


I was so surprised by this. This drawing is not so detailed, but the proportions of our sizes are correct! I just had googled before, I wanted to read, what are the usual norms of development in children's drawing, and basically I found that these drawings are very typical (at first only head and long legs, that come out straight from the head), but the ages mentioned, when these usually appear after scribbles, were a bit older than hers, Adelaide is only 2 years and 4 months old. One article even said, that if children draw recognizable people at age 4 (!), then it's a good sign of their intelligence.

Impressive either way. :) I must say, I have been thinking for the last couple of days, that she has grown up so much! She is talking more and more interesting things than ever, some real smart thoughts are coming out of her. Our little girl is getting so big. :)

Comments

Popular Posts