First time flower arranging

Flower arranging is one of the Practical Life works in Montessori (in a classroom for ages 3-6). And, of course, an important and popular part of Montessori homes. Montessori is about practical life - practical work, participating in real, hands-on activities, participating in home life and creating a beautiful and orderly home environment, it's about learning real skills (including picking the flowers, cutting with scissors, using water, pouring water, dealing with glass dishes, throwing out stems and leftovers, arranging flowers in a vase, it's also about aesthetics and beauty, and nature. And that all for very young children.

Adelaide loves flowers, we had some beautiful cornflowers that I planted, she has been interested in cutting with scissors and has learned it a little bit, so I figured, it would be a good moment to guide her through her first flower arrangement. I told her what to do and she did it. She didn't need much guidance and picked up easily on what she's supposed to do. So it went well.










Later on, when I wanted to read more about it, how to present the work the best way, I found the actual description of this work, how it is presented in a Montessori classroom. And wow, it has 67 steps! :D
At first it might seem a bit.. much. But actually, this is why Montessori is so great and works like magic. I get it and can imagine it. I have observed it with Adelaide. Children do in fact copy everything that you do exactly the way you do it. And especially with things, that you do consistently the same way every time. Once you do things messily and not the same way every time, and then one moment you decide to require them to participate or do it.. No way, that's not how it works. :) But with things that you have done consistently - you can't even make them do it any other way!

That's why I totally get it, if an adult presents these things exactly as it is written in this manual, every single time, then the child would attempt to repeat it like that as well.. Making them able to do this on their own, independently and successfully. Which is so empowering.

Of course, I think it works a bit differently at home than in a classroom. Home life is home life, it is more relaxed, more improvised. She has seen me doing that, putting flowers in a vase.. That's why, she only wanted to put them on the big dining table. Even though I invited her to place the flowers in her kitchen.. No. Flowers and vases go on the table. :)

When it comes to home vs classroom in Montessori, and how they are different.. I'm really wondering about this, especially for the future, when I'm going to be introducing more specific work to Adelaide.
And that's why - big news! - I have applied for CDIR Homeschooling course by Aubrey Hargis, the course starts at the very end of summer. Wow! :D I'm so excited.. It's the first online course I'm taking. I hope that it's going to give me some clearance on how to practice Montessori at home in the future. (It's meant for ages 3-6.)

So probably our flower arranging is going to develop still.. But not bad for the first try. :) Adelaide enjoyed it.

And by the way, cornflower is Estonian national flower.

Comments

Popular Posts