What have we been up to

September is almost over! I suddenly realized, that I have to start thinking of what monthly cake I'm going to bake in just a few days. September is a beautiful month and it has gone by so quickly. We have managed to go to Latvia and visit my family, as well as go to Hiiumaa to celebrate Mr. Husband's birthday, then there was my nameday, and a whole two weekends (finally!) simply being home.


Coffee cake for 32nd birthday :)

I also just realized, that it's been exactly a month now, since I'm taking part in an online course! :) Which is the main reason, why I haven't gotten to writing any blog posts lately. Yes, the big news on why I'm so busy.

When I saw Aubrey Hagris asking in the Montessori 101 Facebook group if people would be interested in such course - how to apply Montessori at home, I immediately felt that this is something exactly for me! I have never ever taken an online course before. I have not been interested and, frankly, I would be sorry to waste the money.
But I knew right away that I'm going to participate in this particular course, especially as in the introduction she said, that Montessori homeschooling is not the same as Montessori classroom, and you do not have to replicate the classroom in your own home. 
I personally wanted to learn more exactly about this - how to do it best at home, with the resources that I have available. Which parts and materials are essential and which can be replaced with real-life experiences or do-it-yourself's. And I must say, I have gotten more than I expected out of this course! I simply love it.

It's the 5th week of the Montessori Homeschooling for ages 3-6, given by Aubrey Hagris, Child Development Institute of the Redwoods. We have covered already rhythms and routines, practical life, art and music, as well as sensorial and language materials, and this week is about math! And there is a little bit left still about geography and science. I don't want it to end!

Of course, Adelaide is not yet in the age group of 3-6, but almost. I think the course is in a perfect timing for us. All that is taught there is applicable for children as young as 2,5.. And Adelaide being 2 years and 3 months old, I can definitely use a lot of my new knowledge with her already. And it gives me a good base for the future, I feel totally prepared now for what's to come. :)

So I can definitely suggest this course to anyone, who is interested in Montessori and has children around this age. You don't have to even call it homeschooling, it's just a lot about life and how children learn, and how we can give them opportunities to learn. And Aubrey is an amazing teacher!

I use all of my free evenings for this course. The rest of the time.. It's life with both of the girls, as usual. :)
Where to begin?

Jasmiina is crawling!!! Her progress has been quick. From the moment she realized that she is able to move and to get into Adelaide's stuff, she has become unstoppable. She is crawling super-fast all around the house. Often, if I go to the bathroom, she joyfully follows and finds me there. :) Or she comes to the kitchen and is already exploring Adelaide's kitchen! That is probably her favorite spot. She loves to open and close the cabinets and drawers, and take stuff out. Including Adelaide's plates and bowls. So far we're ok and at least don't have any broken dishes.



Then she goes to the robot vacuum cleaner and puts it on, and then gets so scared of it. :D
Another favorite of Jasmiina's is the xylophone (or glockenspiel, I'm seriously confused, what is the right name for it) - I was so surprised, when Jasmiina crawled there and started playing it! I had no idea, that she knew how and was able to do it. But she was, totally. (Absorbent mind.) She loves music! She is really enticed by all of the music, and she goes there every day to play it. As well as the rhythm instruments that we have, they are Jasmiina's favorite toys.



 



 



Adelaide is drawing, painting, dancing, sometimes helping me in the kitchen or with other household chores, she has started to be more interested in cutting with knife lately, and has become better at it, she cuts up all the apples for the cake! She still loves reading, we have one new book, that she was reading for weeks. And she has had a couple of new works that I've made for her, which she has enjoyed, I probably will make a separate post about those, as I have wanted to for a long time already.
And of course we're going out a lot. Just a couple of days ago we made a 5 km long walk! Adelaide  was riding her bike for most of it, like 3 km or more, I was shocked. But she just wanted to go on and on!

Cutting the cucumber for salad

Setting the table, she does that regularly now

 




After about 3 km the walk became very very slow, but we had to get back home somehow. :D But she didn't even want to stand for a long time, she preferred to push the stroller.



We have been trying out some classes this autumn season, so far have been everywhere once, as last week we all went down with a little cold. We've tried - singing, as well as toddler gym. We probably will continue going to the gym, as Adelaide really loved it (the class is for 1-3 year old's, there were only 3 other children, all seemed to be around 1 year old, and it was mostly just moving around - climbing over obstacles, crawling, jumping, throwing balls or going through somewhere. Nothing special, if you think about it, but the big soft obstacle blocks that they have there, are cool, and Adelaide really really had fun there, and the teacher was nice). The singing was so-so, not sure yet. It was the first time and there was only 1 other child, so a bit dull. Some usual toddler songs and a few instruments. Adelaide still seemed to like it, so we will try at least once or twice more, to see if it's worth going there. (The one, who enjoyed the singing class the most, was Jasmiina!)

AND we also have started a Montessori morning playgroup with a few other friends! :) This is one of the things I'm most excited about. We are going to have it once a week (and it has happened only once so far, because everyone's runny noses got in the way, but soon should be the second time), basically the goal is just for like-minded moms and children to get together regularly, so children could freely play together in a Montessori-friendly environment. I wanted this for Adelaide, as she seems to enjoy social gatherings with other children so much! (Of course, I don't want too many outings neither, we need also calm days at home, that's why we might need to drop some of those classes.)
The first time was successful, I'd say, children prepared a smoothie for themselves, very Montessori, practical life, and later played, as the moms could discuss some Montessori related subjects. :)



Montessori play mornings are also fun for Jasmiina :)

So you can see, that we have been really busy! Life is definitely exciting.

Comments

Popular Posts