Day of Progress

Yesterday was a weird day.. Day packed with progress! Also, one of the hardest days in long time, I'm not sure why, but it all together just left me utterly exhausted, like seriously left with zero energy.

But it was seriously surprising and even shocking, Adelaide showed whole 3 new abilities! In one day.

1. First of all - she ate with a spoon, herself, for the first time!

I often give her a spoon to hold, while simultaneously feeding her with another spoon. She usually has played with it, explored it, yes, trying to stick it everywhere.
But yesterday was entirely different.
I was feeding her soup from a bowl. (She is a real fan of soups.) She was really demanding of the bowl. Sometimes this happens. My choice is either to keep it away from her, then she screams and doesn't eat, or - to let her explore the bowl and deal with the mess afterwards. At least she eats.
So I let her. And! She put her spoon in the bowl. Correctly. And let it go - spoon being in the bowl - and was so excited herself! Like she totally realized that she has achieved the right way! And then! She took the spoon, correctly, some soup even really being in it, and put it - consciously - into her mouth! 
Wow. My baby eating with a spoon. She seemed really proud and totally aware of it. She did it at least a couple of times.

2. She was putting together the pyramid. In a real, concentrated way.

I left for a second to get my tea. I come back and see her - sitting on the floor, independently having taken the pyramid and putting it together. And one piece is already put! Which I know wasn't put before. She was so absorbed in her work! I silently stood there, trying not to disturb her, and watched her being engaged - she was taking every piece and trying to put it on several times, like seriously persistently, maybe 6-7 times. She wasn't successful (the pyramid has such a small hole), but she is almost getting there. That was such an amazing thing to observe!



3. And finally.. Remember this toy?


She has always quite liked it. But so far she was just exploring it - exploring the beads, moving them, yes, but not purposefully. She didn't know the concept - to put them from one end to other - and I didn't even think she should.
Yesterday she took it, and I was just sitting and watching, as she put one by one - on purpose - from one end to another! (On the green line.) At first it was a bit hard, but then she got it, how to do it, and all of them went to the right place! I was amazed. I turned it around and she did it again.
I thought she can only do it with the green line, as it's easier, but I showed her the red one - and she did it too! Without any problem. Wow.

What is wow - is that it happens so suddenly! Like, nothing much changes for a long time, and then - in one single day - she suddenly does all this!

Important to mention - all day long she was in a real need of constant closeness, I couldn't leave her anywhere almost for a second, she constantly needed to be in my lap and carried, or at least sitting very closely next to her. (Which probably answers, why was I so exhausted.)

So the calm times, even a week or more, when she was surprisingly independent and playing on her own for long periods of time, are ended. And this, as it turns out is described in The Wonder Weeks book (that I wrote about previously, when we were in Leap 6), is - in fact - Leap 7! Already!
All the description of Leap 7 fits. (I really should buy this book..)

Also the fact that she understands, who are the people in the pictures. We have some pictures of ourselves and her around the house, and for some time now she just adores looking at them. She is pointing at us - at her, at daddy, at me (herself and daddy are favorites, doesn't that much care about mommy), and "saying" something too.
It is really strong, this love of these pictures. Even when sitting on the floor, in the middle of the room and playing, she points to them all over across the room.

Unbelievable, this development. Such a joy to watch. Worth all the exhaustion. ;)

Comments

Popular Posts