New Books

What I said in the last post - that not going to think about new toys till autumn - has an exception. Because I finally had a chance to go to a bookshop in Latvia, and I had wanted to buy some new, good books for Adelaide for a while already.

She had only such baby books.. Some of them were fine, with animals, but some I didn't like that much.. Of course, the ones that I find to be the most pointless ones and in the lowest quality, she tends to like the best. :D (Partly a joke.)

But I wanted some really NICE books for her. Of course, I could get them in Estonian too, it doesn't matter that much yet, but it's nice to have both - Latvian and Estonian.

So here they are. I was pleasantly surprised, because children's section in Valters un Rapa was big, there were so many nice ones, that it was hard to choose, which ones to actually take..



I took two small foldable "books" about animals - one about the Zoo animals (we want to go soon) and one with baby animals. They have really big variety of all kinds of animals (some of which I don't even know), the pictures are realistic photos (or photo-like). Adelaide likes animals, so here will be many new ones to learn.

One very nice book about the Country life. It has many pages.. Showing everything you could think of about the modern country life - animals, scenery, a lot of tractors etc, food that comes from the country.. It's nice. There were these ones about different subjects, we chose the Country.

I took one book about the classic Czech mole. :) It's from my childhood.

Was happy to find a classic - Peter Rabbit by Beatrix Potter!

And most happy about a find - the big picture scenery book. Has some 4 pages with big, very detailed scenes from a park, zoo, forest.. I love these books myself, it's so interesting to look at every tiniest detail. :)

But what is a NICE or good book, in my opinion, then? I agree somewhat with Montessori philosophy - the book in this age preferable should have very realistic images (like the photos of animals), as the child is actually learning, how different things look like, and some very silly, cartoon-ish images are just pointless.

But I'm not a 100% set on Montessori in this, as they would suggest having only such realistic books, at least until some age (6 or 7, I guess), meaning, no fairy tales and such.
I think some (good quality!) drawings, and also stories, fairy tales are great in this age too. 

And, of course, if the book has text, it should be something nice, something pleasant to read and something you actually want to read (and teach) to the child. So far we haven't had any books with text, but these two (the mole and Peter Rabbit) have text, which now I can start reading to her, over and over again. :D

I'm going to gradually take away most of her baby books, leaving the favorites (otherways I think there would be too many), and introduce these slowly, one by one. So far we have given her the Country book, and she really likes it.

Comments

Popular Posts