Sorting colors, next step

A couple of months ago I introduced color baskets to Adelaide. Along with becoming verbal, she showed some understanding and ability to see colors, so I made her the first simple color sorting activity with 2 colors, and she was very good at it (see the link). Also, I made her a color treasure basket - only one color for a couple of weeks (Jasmiina's birth was in the middle, so now I'm surprised, how long time has passed since the first basket!), we started with red (see the link). And now we had gone through four colors - blue, green, red and yellow. I used only simple objects that I found around the house, spent about 5-10 minutes looking for them each time, and it was easy to find, somehow the hardest color to find was green.





I saved some of the items from each color and now, as the next step, I put them mixed in a basket and 4 colorful bowls to sort them. (Bowls could have also made myself, but I found this set in one shop for a reasonable price.) 


And today I introduced them to Adelaide. I showed her a couple of times, and through the rest we went together - she was putting them herself, but I was verbally describing the things, colors and what she is doing.


She mostly was putting them totally correctly! (Without much or any help.) A couple of times she messed up (it seemed that mostly she was mixing green and blue, I guess they are harder to distinguish, as green anyway is not a primary color, but somehow it's always one of the 4 main ones..), but usually she saw herself, that something is not exactly right.. 



We went through all the objects once, she seemed to lose the interest, so I put them on the shelf. And as I was getting Jasmiina from her nap, Adelaide had taken the bowls out again! And was doing it totally independently. So I guess she is liking it. :) And I am not intervening anymore, or I might describe verbally, what is she doing.



Obviously Adelaide is exactly at this level right now. She can name colors often correctly. But often messes them up still. I read an interesting article on colors, that it is actually a very difficult concept to learn, I suggest to give this a read - Why Johnny Can't Name His Colors

Comments

Popular Posts