Breastfeeding a toddler - World Breastfeeding Week 2016


This week is World Breastfeeding Week 2016.

Breastfeeding is a subject that I feel passionate about, so it's a good moment for a little update. Actually, I realize, I haven't written much about our current breastfeeding situation, I didn't also have any pictures, so I made one today.

So if a year ago I could write about breastfeeding a baby, then now it's a turn to talk about breastfeeding a toddler.


Because, yes, Adelaide (almost 14 months old) is still actively breastfed.

I'd say, breastfeeding a baby in Latvia/Estonia is the normal, common thing to do. Of course, there are people, who have problems and maybe give up too fast, but overall, at least I feel that breastfeeding is seen as the best, right thing to do. So most of people at least try.

Still, I think a lot of informative work would need to be done, considering the emotional side of breastfeeding (for the baby)! Yes, people mostly realize that breastmilk is the best food for the baby. But too common is the way of thinking, that that's where it ends. Even many doctors will tell you, that babies need to eat only for 15 to 30 minutes, or every 2 hours, and so on. Which is such bullshit.

I feel that everyone's lives could be so much more happier and easier, if people would accept simple truths as these..

BREAST IS SO MUCH MORE THAN JUST FOOD FOR THE BABY

Breast = warmth, closeness, happiness, security, comfort, LOVE.. for the baby

And YES, it is completely normal, common, acceptable and OK for a baby to be at the breast for longer (even way longer) than some man-made schedule says, and

IT'S THE MOTHER'S BREAST, THAT IS SUBSTITUTED BY THE PLASTIC PACIFIER, not the other way around

Baby is not using you as a pacifier, when wants to suck for hours straight, he's having his needs met, which is the natural way, and it's perfectly OK

and IT'S PERFECTLY NORMAL TO OFFER THE BREAST, WHENEVER THE BABY IS UNHAPPY
*Believe me, as someone who has done this, if the baby will not want it, he will refuse. More often though he will want it. 

I'm sorry, but I just had to get it out of my system.. :D To put it out somewhere. :) (And if you don't want to believe me, there is plenty of information to find out there.) Of course, every baby is different, with different needs (and maybe some condition, that doesn't allow extended nursing), but this is true for the most. It's just sad to hear, when people will follow the schedule or rules more than their own baby's needs.
Anyway.
....

So, it's common to breastfeed for about a year, but what happens after this one year? When they start walking and talking, and eating real food..? Most of people either think (and encourage) that their babies wean before 1 year (which actually should be a rare thing to happen), or then they wean them on purpose, once the year mark has come.

Yes, so to feed an older child is already way less common, it's seen less and talked about less.
(Some) people still do it, but it's more hidden and private. However, I do hope that it is becoming accepted as normal.

I always have wanted to feed longer than a year, a year - it seems like a total minimum to me. I guess I always put a mark of 2 years, as for how long I would like to breastfeed (but it's not a maximum mark).

It just seems natural to me. I guess not to everyone. So to everyone else, why do I do it?
Even though breastmilk is still very beneficial nutritiously, even to a toddler that eats actual meals..


..somehow, to me it's more about the emotional and comforting side.
I know that nutritiously Adelaide would be able to manage without the breastmilk just fine. But she still really wants and needs it.. more as a comforter, as the safe base, as an emotional recharging station.

She asks (and, btw, I have finally taught her to show the (ASL) sign language sign for the breastmilk - she cutely opens and closes her fist and smiles, knowing that I understand what she is asking for!) for breast usually a few times a day. It depends a lot on what we are doing - on an especially busy, social and fun day she might forget it totally. When we are home all day, she might ask more than just a few times..
And, of course, many times through the night. It's the way I put her back to sleep, as she wakes up still many, many times (Mr. Husband can put her back by rocking in his arms, but from me she wants the breast).

Breastfeeding was the best thing in the world, when she was sick and had a high fever recently. Then she was so unhappy, that would cry even when held in arms, but only at the breast she was happy and calm, and could sleep. In spite of my discomfort, I was so happy for that option.

I would like to continue this as it is, and let her decide, when she doesn't need it anymore.. But life brings it's own surprises, and we'll see, how this journey continues.

In any case - I'm so happy and thankful that have been able to this for so long. :)

Comments

Popular Posts