20 months and puzzles

Today Adelaide is exactly 20 months old (it's common to count children's age in months until 2 years, after that it's already weird. I myself remember, that I used to get really confused, when someone said their child is, for example, 20 months. :D Had to do a little math in my head first.. Now it seems so natural, and I immediately know, what a 20- or 22-month-old means). Not that we would celebrate anymore (Mr. Husband did in fact asked, where is the cake.. :D But maybe that just has to do with me making a lot of cakes..), but I thought it would be nice to write down, what is Adelaide exactly into at 20 months.

Much of it has been mentioned a lot already - Adelaide likes to help out and cook with me in the kitchen (many posts about that lately, and I predict there will be many more to come..), she likes to play with her dolls - imaginative play and imitating us a lot - I heard that this can be very common for a child, when there's a new baby in the family, no matter the age.


She likes her stickers and reading books, and finding similarities - she likes to find a sticker and then the same animal in the book.

Finding the same has already given us some new work. Adelaide's first matching game, picture to picture. I tried introducing picture to object today with the animal figurines we have - picture of a goat and a little goat figurine, but that didn't work out too well.. She even did see that there's the same animal - in the picture and an object - and pointed it out. But then she took all the animals and placed them on the shelf, where the animals always are. :D Ha, such a Montessori child. ;) (Or any child, because children naturally love order, if they are allowed and introduced to it..) Adelaide often does this, and it makes my little prepared works for her difficult sometimes - I pretty much can't use  things in them that we already have had around. For example, in the yellow treasure box I can't put a yellow block, because she will just take and put it in the basket with the rest of the blocks.. Well, same with the animals. They are put to their original place. But I will give the matching game another shot sometime..

But, what is so important, I don't just come up with these works myself! She really shows herself, what she is interested in.. And finds an activity accordingly! Even if I wouldn't give her something to go with her interests, she would go with what's available. She found a magnet on our fridge.. A matryoshka. And asked - where's the other one?! What? :D I was surprised she even remembers.. She wasn't playing with it, so I removed it (called the toy rotating - basically, to have fewer things out and available). I think, it hadn't been seen for months.. Well, she asked.. so I brought it out. They really look the same. And she was playing with it every day now.



Same thing actually happened with the puzzles as well.. She quite likes these wooden peg puzzles now. I usually keep one out available, presented in a Montessori way, and rotate them time to time (we have 4 that have been given to us). She did the puzzle and then asked.. Where's the other?! So I brought it out.. And then all of them, and it seemed that she liked the challenge of it.. It's a lot harder to find the right place with so many options, have to sort of already do some grouping.. But she was able to do it. It looks like some puzzle loving age might be approaching us..


Adelaide likes to play her xylophone too, plays it every day. Likes to ride her bike (we're already looking at what balance bike to get for her)..  Still likes her shape sorter. And stringing little balls on a string.

But one more thing to mention is, that she loves guests. :) And going to visit someone. When I say "guests will be coming" or "we'll go visit someone", she immediately is running to put her hat and boots on. :) And is talking about people, her little friends that we have, all the time.. Especially after we have just visited, and sometimes for days and days.. Adelaide is a social one. (That, however, doesn't mean that she should be put in a big herd of children for all day long - e.g. kindergarten - as some might think. I am planning a post on kindergartens, as it becomes a subject at this age.) No, not at all.. A couple of hours here and there is totally enough, after a little playtime she is even very happy to go home. And then is playing independently for a long time. She really has become very independent.. Ever since about Jasmiina was born. That's why it hasn't been that hard at all on me.. Only pleasure. :)


Adelaide is growing up so fast.. We're only 4 short months away from her turning 2 years old!.. I might cry, my baby is getting so big.. :') But the bigger she gets, the cooler and smarter, and so much more fun and amazing to be with!

Comments

Popular Posts