Finally, something new

At first I named this post 3rd trimester + a toddler, but I couldn't bring myself to write anything down. I'm just not one of those bloggers, who will write about the harsh reality and complain.. Oh, yes, it is hard. Just recently I was bragging that we have quite a calm period going on.. Well, I don't know, what exactly happened (they claim there is some supermoon and it's making children crazy..), who knows, it would be nice, if there would be an explanation.
But Adelaide has been very needy lately, she is having some total mommy-period. If before she was playing on her own for quite some periods of time, then.. not anymore. Not around me at least. Whenever she sees me, she takes me by hand and I have to go.. to draw, to read books, mostly. It doesn't sound hard, but about a month before my due date.. I am exhausted. Both physically and mentally. It's hard to keep up with her, and every time I refuse for some reason, it results in a huge and loud protest. And I lose my patience with her, no matter how much I hate it, and probably that results in her being more upset, and there's a circle.

Today we went to an open playroom with a friend, it was quite nice actually.. It was pretty and spacious, had some nice toys and a lot of books, Adelaide was enjoying it a lot at first. 


But once we were about to leave, I really again don't know, was she tired or hungry, or didn't want to leave, but actually for the first time ever she threw a real tantrum, falling on the floor and screaming, making it impossible to dress her. Then she refused to walk to the car, I had to carry her.. If I last until the due date like this, it will be a surprise. 

Of course, I realize, that the only answer is to take a deep breath, meditate to get a new, fresh wave of patience and peace, only that way it will be better. I really hope this is just a phase, though.. We have noticed, that a lot of her being upset and screaming has to do with her being unable to express herself and what she wants, learning to talk finally would be an answer to that. :) (The language is developing every day.)

I have been wondering, why isn't she playing on her own or why is she not interested in the activities that we have in her shelves. One answer might be - we are doing a little renovation in the living room (which was supposed to last for a couple of days, but is going on for a couple of weeks), so even though her things are accessible, it's kind of a mess. That might be an indication, how important clean, organized and beautiful environment is for children and to trigger their interest.. Or maybe she just is over those things, and I should think of some new work to offer her.

I had promised to finally organize the shelves in the kitchen, clean them out of all the stuff  lying there, and to make them into shelves with some practical life activities for her. (The shelves are far  from ideal, we have a plan to get a new furniture for this particular space, but that probably will take time.) So I am so proud of myself, that I did these, finally..


The main part was emptying. As for the actual work and trays - I have to think of something now. Somehow, even though I have looked through like 100 blogs about this age, other than some scooping and pouring work, that she does already, I didn't find anything. Also, to make some DIY activities, it actually takes some materials, today I walked through the kitchen tool section in the shop, looking for some small tools and/or inspiration, and the one thing I bought, was this sifter! I couldn't figure out, what to offer with it, at first I thought of sifting the flour, but that didn't seem to work, maybe with supervision, so I went with this one - water in a bowl, some corks floating in it, and you have to scoop the corks out with a sifter, she actually loved this! (Of course, it includes water..)



Another one - chestnuts, that you have to put each in their own little nest (an empty candy box), could do this with a spoon, I left it without, she liked this a lot too..


And another, a bit more advanced scooping - split peas to a jar with a small spoon.. Not sure about this one yet.

Her water pouring station, water she actually drinks (I finally put away the sippy-cup for good), is on a chair nearby, as well as towels to clean up the spills.


A good job well done.. :) Now at least the area is ready, and I can introduce more work for her, as I come up with it. My goal is - if she is busy and interested even for a couple of minutes, that's wonderful! 

Comments

Popular Posts