Cultural differences and parenting

I came across this blog, which has a series of posts, describing interesting differences in parenting ways across the globe.

I read about Sweden and Denmark, which were the closest ones to us here (still having some bigger and smaller differences, of course, from Estonia and Latvia), and the biggest (funniest) part was, that people from warmer parts of the world are so surprised, that in the cold (Northern) Europe people put their babies to nap outside in all kinds of weather - even below 0 C, and - oh my! - in rain!

Climate is one of the big things that influence our habits in parenting. (I also remember, my Czech friend said in Czech they do not take babies (newborns, I guess) outside, if it's under 0 C, here, in Estonia, it's found totally ok to take a newborn out (even a couple of days old), if it's until -10 C, older babies, however, in any conditions.) 
 I dare say, that is natural and normal - we have to adjust to the conditions and temperatures we live in, no other choice, otherways babies here would have to be indoors for most of the year. :)
 ..And it is important to be reasonable as well. I remember reading in some Waldorf FB group, that a woman living in Texas (!) asked, if she really should put a hat on her baby at all times, even at summer? (May I remind, Waldorf seems to suggest to have babies hatted at all times, also indoors, to help them keep their body heat..) But a person should realise, that Waldorf started long time ago in the cold Germany.. And not in Texan summer. ;)

So, as for climate, yes, it's common, suggested and even important to take babies outside in any weather. (My baby is sleeping outside right now. But it's a warm day, no minuses. Let me check.. around +8 C. If it's raining, I don't want to go out myself.. But if it looks like it's going to rain soon, I put the rain cover on the stroller, and if it starts raining, I leave the stroller outside. The noise of the rain even makes her sleep well.)

This is how a baby is dressed in Estonian October :) (outside)
! However, I also have read that you shouldn't take too long walks outside in the winter with a baby (if it's minuses), maximum 2-3 hours, as in a very cold weather babies fall into a very deep sleep, it's like a protection mechanism (similarly, adults can fall asleep outside in winter and freeze to death in their sleep), and they are not so able to wake up from it. But 2-3 hours seems more than enough.

As for other differences in parenting..
There pretty much are none between Latvia and Estonia, as it has been the same country for most of the history. If there are differences, then they are tiny.
I have read some stuff about French parenting (there is a book even), and I don't know, if seriously all French parent that way, but I really dislike it. It's so strict, and very oppose of Attachment Parenting style.

It's funny actually.. Like in this blog series. Everything, how we live here, seems totally normal to us. But for others it might seem weird.. :)

Oh! And about this subject.. I definitely suggest to watch a movie BABIES! It's an amazing, amazing documentary, about 4 different babies in totally different parts of the world. Doesn't matter, if you have or don't have a baby yourself, it's so interesting to see, how different we are.

Comments

Popular Posts