Our second Baby-morning

We just have come home from the second Baby-morning in the Waldorf kindergarten.

I was looking forward to it.. And even though I was tempted to just stay home (it's a lot easier to just follow the routine with a baby), I knew I will like it, so we went.

It was as nice as the last time. Again, there were only two of use, but a different two of us - this time it was a woman with her 14-months old daughter. (Plus the teacher.) The little girl was so cute.. :) I'm definitely looking forward to everything.. When Adelaide will be 1 year, 2 years old, and so on..

It was calm. Nice.. A beautiful 1,5 hour, to just be.. And feel the magic in the air. :) Yes, I think there is a magic in the air.. Magic of people, who truly care about children, their needs, their personalities.. How to provide them with the best, most importantly - with love, patience and kindness. I think this kindergarten would be the best place for people, who are constantly in rush, in stress. 

We started with those little poems, that Waldorf, and in fact - anyone, who raises children - finds so important. They use little rhymes, usually accompanied by movement of fingers and hands. These rhymes, especially ancient ones, that have been used by people for hundreds of years, keep the wisdom of generations. They are perfect for children.

And I am supposed to teach them to Adelaide in Latvian, as the mother's language is the most important in the beginning, providing the self-identity and sense of security that only mother does.

(Language might be even a separate subject, but for now I will just mention, that it is essentially important, that a mother talks to her children in her own native language. All the other languages come afterwards. No matter, how well mother would speak other languages, there is only one "mother's tongue".)

In the Waldorf class, of course, talking and rhymes are in Estonian. I try to do them too, but they are new to me and contain so many words that I don't know. But last time the teacher asked me to find some rhymes in Latvian, and this time I showed it to them, and they did it 3 times with me (in Latvian!!!). :)

Then the teacher again asked, what questions or worries we have. We talked about two things - Elimination Communication and promoting independence versus constantly entertaining a child.

Turns out, the other woman has (successfully) done Elimination Communication with both of her children. (This was her second.) My conclusion, after what she said, would be that it's better (and easier) to start earlier. Because she said, when her daughter was 3 months old, would already do the business in the potty, after mother holding her and saying "psss psss psss". I probably should have done it more constantly during the summer.
Other thing, that doing Elimination Communication doesn't necessary mean that the child will be potty trained earlier. Her oldest daughter was totally potty-friendly at age 2 (which is quite an average age, also for non-Elimination-Communication babies, I think). Also, she said - most important is to not put any goals and expectations for yourself and the child. It only harms the child. If you do it, do it, the best payback is the communication with your child.

And the other question I had, was - where is the balance, should you leave the baby on her own more (as long as she's happy)? Because sometimes I'm not sure.. Should I constantly be with her, sing to her, talk to her... Actually quite often, if she is fine, I leave her (most often that she can still see me), so she can play, be on her own.
We got to a conclusion, that it is right. You should let them just be.. Because only in that way they will discover things on their own. (In this way Pikler has some very good points.)
Same time, quality time with a parent is as important. Important is to find the balance.
And I think I actually feel it, when to do what and how, as long as I don't start to doubt myself.  :)



Comments

  1. I could say when T. needed to pee when he was about 4-5 months, he started to show some signs...so nothing's lost yet ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe. :) Sometimes I think I'm just not the type of person to be able to do it! :) But we'll see, how it goes..

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts