Cloth diapers

I don't know, why most of the people think it's so crazily hard to use cloth diapers?

I first heard of such (nowadays used) concept couple of years ago (long before being even pregnant), somehow coming across some Bambino Mio commercial on the internet. And from the first moment, realising there is an alternative to not-so-logical usual disposable diapers, I was sure I am going to use them. Didn't matter, that they would cost more at first, that they need to be washed quite often etc, it just is logical! Because somehow, to me it doesn't seem very normal to use these syntetic, super-absorbent disposable ones, that you have to have at your butt every day, for a year and more. It's crazy! (I'm sorry, but as a woman, I would not want to wear even a sanitary pad for a year, not talking about a diaper..)

At first I thought I would buy the same Bambino Mio, but later found a seemengly cheaper alternative - Softbums (on softbums.lv page). However, as I am so lucky to have a friend who uses cloth diapers as well, I got a whole package of Bambino Mio inserts and covers from her, so I did not have to buy anything at all. ;)

Even so, it seems I might have to buy some extra diapers of my own, as the Bambino Mio covers are up to 7 kg, and my precious little baby is already over 6 kg! (I'm not sure yet, what will I buy, but certainly am planning to continue cloth-diapering my baby until she is using the potty..)

However, I must admit - I am not very strict cloth diaper user - we still use disposable ones for nighttime (some eco brand, we like Naty) - for sake of a better sleep for all of us; and for trips, going out of the house as well (you must be quite fanatic to carry a huge bag of cloth diapers with you). But still - her cute little butt has a nice cotton cloth to it all day long, at home. :)

The main advantages of cloth diapers:
  • cheaper (it takes maybe a bigger investment at first, but in the long run - disposable diapers are quite expensive in Estonia, and you use a lot of them..)
  • better for the little butt (it is obvious - when our baby has spent all day in disposable ones, the skin is a bit red and squeezed, it takes at least of 15-20 min of naked time for it to take it's normal colour, however - no such thing with cloth diapers. The skin is always good. And not even mentioning all the chemicals that are used in disposable diapers to make them so absorbent, even the eco ones.)
  • ensures that child feels the wetness - so realises the cause and effect of the process. It is not 100% up to cloth diapers that determins, how early will the child use the potty, but it definately can help to achieve it earlier.
  • does there need to be more? I'm not that green person as should be, but it's so much better for the environment, produces so much less trash. I'm not going into details here, google if you like, but even counting the producing of them and costs of washing, it's incomparable. 
  • and the cloth diapers can be used for multiple children as well.
 Disadvantages:
  • washing the white laundry every two days. But with a baby, you would do that anyway. 
  • takes more space to store.  
I sewed couple cloth diaper covers on my own as well, they came out quite cute, but not that practical, as the fabric was not specialy made and the design was not fitting as well. Good for photosessions though. :)

 1 week old in mommy-made cloth diaper :)
                       Self made diaper covers
 
This post does not mean I judge people who do not use cloth diapers, but it's meant as an encouragement for those, who might want to try. :)

Comments

Popular Posts