Why babies need to go out

Ok. Mommies need to go out. Babies actually don't.

I must say, I can't imagine, what do those women do or feel, who are social and extravert, who need to be out there, in the world. Because I normally don't - I love being at home, entertained by myself. ;)

However, with a baby, sometimes it gets so hard to just be alone at home with her! 24/7. (Mr. Husband is amazing, helps and is more involved than most men, but it still is only a very small part.. Mostly it's just me and her.)

Don't get me wrong, I love it. I love her. But it is a constant work - taking care of her, what her mood is, what does she want to do, is she tired of that? Is she hungry? Is she getting sleepy? Yes.. And the constant sleep issue.

I have a very good sleeper, actually. I really can't complain of the nights. But the naps and day sleep.. Some little time ago I thought I have figured it out (awake for 1,5-2 h, sleepy, sleep), but for example today, I don't know.. Don't understand. And not understanding her is what is frustrating.
She looks sleepy and cries. I try to make her sleep and she cries even more.. Sometimes I start to think she cries because she doesn't want to sleep, meaning - she is not actually sleepy, but my activities make her sleepy, and that makes her angry. Who knows.

Two days ago she was on the floor, looking at me cooking, happy. So happy and comfortable, that when I looked at her, she was asleep! :D That has happened once. I don't dare to dream of it happening more.



Oh, and the answer - why do I need to go out? Because when I'm somewhere, with someone, talking, walking, doing something.. She is there, with us, happy, taking part, joining the conversation. And as we are in a different environment, then she is mostly picked up, held in arms. When gets really sleepy, then sleeps in the wrap. And everybody is happy.

At home, for some reason I expect her to lie on the bed or on the floor, play on her own, develop. Follow the daily routine. Sleep in the bed, not only in the wrap. Expect to be able to do my own things - whatever, dinner, laundry or Facebook. Of course, she is a lot less happy in this situation, and me as well.

Lesson for myself would be to interact with her at home same way as when we are out. But that is not always possible..
So it seems we will be going to Baby-Mornings twice a month in a nearby Waldorf kindergarten. Just a couple of hours outside of home, doing something different, communicating with some other moms. Hope we like it. :) (Starting from September.)

Comments

Popular Posts