Organized a bit

We survived! 
Mr. Husband had half a week (until this evening) full of work meetings. In Tallinn this time, but he basically came home only to sleep, Adelaide hadn't seen him since Sunday morning..
It was quite an experience for me. I'm used to getting a lot of "help" (even though it's not help, it's just parenting, when fathers do it), especially in the evenings with all the dinner-bath-going to bed routine. Well, now I was all alone with my two girls. 
It wasn't bad. I thought I will be exhausted, and yes, I am indeed tired, but, of course, everything is possible. And it's even nice in some ways. I learn to rely only on myself. And I even get more organized somehow. 
It's still a lot nicer to have husband at home. 

But these days made me feel a bit blue, and question everything a bit.. Sort of existential thoughts. My/our life, what is it made of.. Is it proficient and should it improve. Some people were very supportive and complimented my mothering skills, which makes me feel humble.. I don't feel like such a perfect parent. Especially lately, with Jasmiina it's much harder to get everything done, what I'd wish. I don't feel so capable and productive as I could have been before. 

Anyway, one of the things I was annoyed with was our home, our environment.. Yes, cleaning up and organizing has not been a priority lately. And it showed also in Adelaide's things. I hadn't organized her shelves and other things for a long time now.. And the house was getting filled up with clutter, even though I try to control it, all kinds of tiny things find their way in. Adelaide perhaps finds them or likes playing with them, but then they are left somewhere.. And as she likes them, I don't put them away immediately.. It's not a pretty result. And the environment is so important! I have said again and again, as well as seen it from my own experience, it is the first thing - it has to be neat and pretty, and inviting. And less is more

I was planning to declutter for a while, and finally I did it. At least partly.



I also changed the location (the angle) of the shelf. I somehow realized, that this makes it more open, as well as gives more light. 

Of course, the space is tiny, but actually a toddler in Adelaide's age doesn't need much more at one time. (We have also separate areas for: books; puzzles (peg and others); roll and doll play; music instruments; drawing (crayons, pencils and watercolors) and play dough (which she chooses lately every day!); practical life (her kitchen); as well as various swings etc for gross motor.

She hadn't almost touched her works in the shelf for a long time, that's also how I knew it's time to reorganize, of course I also want to make some new work for her. I took away most that she didn't seem interested in, and put out something new, as well as gave more attention to the ones that already were there.

So now there's still the shape sorter and also a different shape sorting game, that I put out today and she quite enjoyed it.



I also reintroduced the lacing beads. She likes other similar things (the two lacing things on the top shelf), but this one hasn't cough on somehow.. Today though she was quite amused, so let's see if it sparks interest.


And the matching cards. She kinda liked matching, but I'm not sure, why she didn't choose to do it on her own. My theories are that there were too many cards, as well as there was missing a system. With these type of things I've observed, that the more organization and system there is - one clear and certain way to do something - the better and easier it is for a child, and she enjoys it more. So I brought our carpet, that so far has been used only for puzzles, and I demonstrated a clear system, how the cards should be matched, and she seemed to appreciate it. Again - it will be interesting to see, how will it go in the future.


But for sure - new clean shelf with the things put nicely just makes them pop and sparks an immediate interest, before I'm even done. She was immediately taking most of the the things and rediscovered them. For example, she likes to build towers, but now she enjoyed even more putting them back in the box - it's like a puzzle.


So I guess there is something to the toy rotation. I haven't practiced rotation very much, but obviously it works. Even placing the toy in a new spot works. ;)

But apart from all this.. One thing that Adelaide has been fascinated about in the last days - is foam! :) She noticed foam from soap in her sink.. And is obsessed by it. I taught her to make some, and she can play and experiment with it for a long time. Of course, everything gets wet, but who cares. :)






This is what I've noticed and thought about lately. That for a toddler like her it's the most valuable and important to just have hands-in experiences. Not so much organized work (which to some extent is fine too, of course, if it's child-led and enjoyed), but a free sensor exploration. Uninterrupted and as much and long as she likes. Because that is a what she needs to be doing right now, learning about the world hands-on.

Comments

Popular Posts