Scissors and glue


Our days go by quite calmly, I mean the time when we actually are at home.

Adelaide's love for books has returned big time, she wants to read often and a lot. Also she wants me to sing for her from the song books we have. She also loves poems.
She is playing in her kitchen, making foam, pouring water, washing fruit and dishes.. 
We spend a lot of time in bed (after Jasmiina's feedings usually or sometimes we go there to do little exercises), where we often just roll around and have fun. This is nice. 
Sometimes Adelaide takes something from her shelves or plays with blocks, but not that often.
We go out and she likes to play in the sandbox.

We don't do much of arts and crafts, I don't think it's that necessary for children. Arts, yes, Adelaide has crayons and pencils, and watercolors available all the time, she can paint and draw whenever she chooses, as well as play-dough and blackboard with chalks. But I let her do it freely and it's not imposed by me. I think it's important that these things are child-led. Of course, it's our job to offer something new and give some choices. 

A friend said that her daughter likes the glue stick. I had one other gluing activity in mind, which hasn't been brought to life yet, but I hadn't imagined about the glue stick, so we gave it a try.


I took one family magazine and cut out pictures, mostly faces of babies, children, people. Adelaide immediately liked gluing them on a blank page. The first time we did this, she glued 4 pages full. :) But then she got interested in the scissors that I was using for cutting.

 

I had bought these scissors for her quite a while ago. But her grip just wasn't nearly good enough to actually use them. (Montessori way of this is - children should have normal scissors that actually cut. In their size, of course. I think these are quite good. The point is - not some weird totally kiddy plastic things that don't even cut. She has been taught that scissors are used only at the table and you don't walk around with them.)
At first also now it wasn't, but the more she practiced.. And she was very eager to cut and tried and tried for a long time.. The better she got at it, and she was even able to cut a bit. :)

This is exciting! She has also been showing more interest in cutting with knife (usual silverware knife that she has, it's not very sharp). Again, her grip and strength of her hand is just lacking still. But soon.. I guess, soon. :) 

She loves the gluing/cutting work now. Actually it's meant to be just gluing, the cutting I'm planning to still make (some strips of paper or something to cut), but for now she likes to just cut these same pictures, similarly as I did, when I cut them out. So I let her do it like this for now. It has been available for a couple of days now and she has wanted to do it every day.



Comments

Popular Posts