After a long time - Babymorning!

Last time we were in the Babymorning of the Waldorf kindergarten.. a long, long time ago! October, I think! Adelaide was really, really tiny.. a total baby. :)

Even though I have my doubts and disagreements with Waldorf philosophy (that I have written about earlier), the atmosphere they have, same as many of the concepts, is wonderful! So.. I was excited to finally go again. I really wanted to see, how would Adelaide enjoy it now - being so much bigger!

She woke up earlier than ever today! 8:30.. And I thought: great, maybe should not go!? Because I had no wish for another social event with an exhausted baby, and it begins at 10:30, I predicted she will exactly be tired by then.. But I had registered, so we went.

And it was really nice! :) For all the 1,5 hour Adelaide was really enjoying it! There was again only one other woman with a little girl, who we had seen before (there's school holiday in some schools, also first time after long break, that's why so few this time), and two teachers.
Adelaide really liked it there, smiled all the time, really enjoyed all the new toys around! She also liked the other little girl and was taking toys away from her.. :) So I had to hold her back a couple of times.

Meanwhile.. These are our activities at home. :)

But the environment, the atmosphere is so calm there, so harmonic.. Everyone talking in such peaceful, quiet voices.. ;) And it seems to have great effect to children as well. Even though Adelaide finally got tired in the end, she just came to cuddle with me, wasn't upset or nervous..

Mostly we just talked about different subjects, and then did some finger-rhymes. Adelaide even was interested in those now! I guess I should be doing them more with her..

An interesting thing, that was mentioned.. When we are doing the finger-rhymes, then teachers and mothers are doing them. Children mostly only observe. Because it is interesting to them. But when they don't want to, when the toys are more interesting - they can play with those and it is ok. When sometime there were a little bit older children there, they were already participating. But it isn't compulsory! And the other woman said.. That it has surprised her in other - sort of "mainstream" - baby-oriented activities, that babies are made to follow the activity, to participate! Moms take their (babies') hands, their feet, and - actually - force the babies to repeat some movements or whatever they do. It is usually happening in a high tempo and with very active and loud voices. It is bizarre..
And wrong.
Some babies are almost fine with it, but a bit more sensitive ones.. who's temperament or character doesn't really go with it, really suffer. That is not, how babies learn. Babies should be allowed to observe, to absorb (as we teach by example), to be in their own comfort zone. And to join in and participate only then, when they are ready. And doing it then with full understanding. This is actually something, that is common for both Waldorf and Montessori. Something I really agree with, and the reason I am kinda avoiding mainstream organized baby activities. (It reminded me of the baby swimming too, where everything was happening in a way too fast tempo and in a way too organized way.) And that is why I like this place.

..Adelaide simply loved the doll they had there, as soon as she saw it! :) She also has been super excited about couple of dolls and stuffed toys, that we have at home.


I'm not sure, what kinda of a doll I'd like to get for her.. Waldorf dolls are nice. I don't feel that it has to be a Waldorf doll though.. They are really expensive to buy, as they are always hand-made and made out of really nice, natural materials.
Montessori supports anatomically correct dolls, I assume - plastic ones, but looking like real babies.
I don't know.. I think both options are nice. And she can choose then, which one she likes.
But I could try to really make one. It wouldn't be a real "Waldorf doll" then, I'm too lazy to follow the instructions so precisely.. But it could be just a cute rag doll.

Comments

Popular Posts