Sitting


So here she is.. sitting.

:) Like no big deal, chilling and chewing on her bib.. for like 10 minutes.
This is a big one. Milestone, I mean. Even though I have felt that she actually is totally able to sit on her own already for a while now.. She just never really went into this position herself. I guess I can count today as the day it finally happened.

FYI, in Estonia and Latvia babies are not put in a sitting position (or propped up anyhow to sit), before they actually sit themselves. This is very different from, for example, USA, where babies are propped up by pillows, for example, and put to sit in couch, when they are just a couple of months old.. Here it would be judged a lot.

Even though, between the Montessori community I have noticed some new winds, people considering to let children develop in their own speed.

Of course, I agree with it. We should let children develop in their own, natural speed and way. Not making them do something before they are actually physically ready. In that way - trying to speed them up - many other phases in between can be missed

I admit, that I am not the most strict in this.. I have put her to sit in her high chair, for example, already for a while. But the particular high chair has a very supporting back, and she can be in a reclined position, if she wishes. I have also held her in my lap in a sitting position, but I think it is ok, as her back was supported, and she sort of sat up straight herself.

But now, when she officially sits herself - we can put her in her wooden high chair to eat at our table, we can put her in the sitting part of her stroller, we can put her to sit in the bath.. a lot of fun!

So.. what's next, walking? :)

Comments

Popular Posts