Drinking from the little glass

We are giving water to Adelaide, since she started eating solids. Thankfully, she loved it from the very first time! :) She was really excited and wanted to drink more and more.
And she has liked this activity ever since.

As she sits (eats) in the highchair, and often throws things, at first I got her a plastic cup. I know plastic is bad, because it doesn't teach the reality of natural materials (that glass breaks), and we should be giving real dishes and real silverware to babies from the very beginning. (And I actually do give her food from usual dishes, same ones we use ourselves, with a normal metal teaspoon. No special plastic baby dishes.)
This plastic cup, however, I found to be ok, as it was quite heavy, not light like the usual plastic cups. (Oh, and I overally avoid cartoon characters on her stuff, but there was no other, and I thought that Winny The Pooh is ok. :D I wouldn't have bought a Hello Kitty or Frozen one.)


At first I wanted to avoid Sippy cups and Bottles totally, but we got a Sippy cup as a gift. I gave it to her to play, and she loved to chew on it. However, then I decided to introduce it - for trips and time out from home (because honestly - there is still spilling involved, when giving her water from a cup, even with my help). At first she didn't know, how to use it (the water comes out, only when sucking), as she had never drank from any kind of a bottle, but with a little time.. She figured it out. And really enjoys drinking from it as well. She still needs a little help lifting it up, because the cup is actually quite heavy with water in it, and it's not that easy.
I'm not a total fanatic, so I feel ok about using this.


However, I saw an article on this, saying that you really should try the little glass - suitable for little hands - and actually made out from glass.
Montessori finds this to be really important, and actually.. It makes a lot of sense. All of the tools should be child-sized. Because drinking from the big cup (even though the plastic cup is made for children, it is quite big..) is really uncomfortable! It's like - imagine drinking from a bucket! And especially if bucket is full of water.. We, adults, would spill the water all over ourselves!
I got over my laziness.. And actually tried it. And oh, how much she loved it! :)
It's suggested, that one of the best available things to use, is a little shot glass. And that's what I used. We even have 6 of those, so I can replace it, if she breaks it.
The glass if perfect size for her! She loves to hold it.. To drink from it, to explore it. Of course, she spills, because she wants to explore the glass from all the angles. :D And she doesn't understand yet, if there's water inside there or not.
But that's the learning process.. All in good time. The plan for future is.. To have a little jug of water (like the one we use for sauce) and the little glass - put for her on her very own shelf in the kitchen. So she can come and pour some water for herself, whenever she wants to.
But that.. In a little time.
Right now I give her to drink after every meal. And observe. She actually loves it so much, that she doesn't throw it! Has dropped it once, it didn't break.
But this is just great!

Comments

Popular Posts