Our first "Baby-morning"

So today we went to the "Baby-morning" in a Waldorf kindergarten, that is in a nearby town. They have organized these morning events for mothers with babies (until age 2) for couple of years now. I found the information online, and as I felt a bit tired from only-home-all-day-long routine, then I decided that I'm definitely going. It should do good for me - a little time out, meeting other mothers and other babies, getting a little communication.

To be clear - I no-how think that Adelaide gains anything from this, she would be perfectly happy (probably happier) just being at home, doing what we always do. Maybe a bit older baby could benefit from it - having a chance to play with different toys and to see other children.
No, it's for me. But when a mom is happy, the baby is happy as well. :)

There are plenty of organized activity-groups around, all kinds of music, singing, playing, gymnastics, swimming groups.. As much as I have seen them, they mostly seem annoying and just over-stimulating and chaotic for babies. That's why I did not want to go to a mainstream baby-activity group. With Waldorf I know, what their way with children is, know what to expect. Plus, gives me a chance to meet more like-minded people.

So, today we went. A beautiful autumn day, from the first glimpse I liked the private-house, where it's happening, the nice yard around it. I saw children in the yard. While the baby-morning is happening, the children of the kindergarten go out for a hike. (Waldorf finds rhythm and routine very important, every day of the week has always the same activity, for example, Mondays - painting days. Here Thursdays always are the days of hiking, or a trip.) These children were so nice, polite, there was some harmony to them and all this place. I definitely got a totally different feeling here, than I have, walking by a usual, mainstream kindergarten, which always seems quite noisy, chaotic and stressful.

Also the teachers that I met were very nice and I got a good feeling from them. While waiting for it to begin, I looked around the rooms. The place was so beautiful! Same harmony, peace and charm here.. There was a bigger room, with table and chairs. And the smaller - playing room. Big round rainbow carpet on the floor. A beautiful play-house area with pink curtain-roof over it. Each toy that I saw there was beautiful.. Wooden doll house with furniture. Many boxes and baskets - filled with pine cones, rocks, fabrics, knitted items.. Doll beds, dolls, doll clothes. Little wooden farm animals and so on.

A picture from their homepage
I saw the "Waldorf" things that I have so far only read about - candle and a vase on the dining table, the "nature corner" and others. It was a nice and really cozy. If I ever would put my child in a kindergarten, I would want it to be like this.

In the baby-morning were only us and one other woman with her boy, 2 years and 3 months old. And a woman, who was leading it as well. (There probably will come a lot more, this was just the first time this year..) So it was very calm, we just got to know each other a little bit, talked about our children.. And then discussed some children-related topics.

This post is getting too long, so I will write another time, what we talked about.

Comments

Popular Posts