Treasure Basket - Color Red

I have been introducing colors to Adelaide lately.. Not that I would think it's somehow important or that she should know them, but I started to get the feeling, that she is starting to recognize colors (that they are different), so it felt like a good time for such activities. And the first color sorting work that I made and that she immediately loved, proved me right.

The color sorting work she does perfectly, puts them always right, and if some mistake happens, then she is cutely upset for a moment, while she fixes her mistake. :D

However, when it comes to recognizing the colors in other places, it's not so simple. For example, she has this Pop-up toy, that she still loves (especially lately has again discovered it), that's why I'm still having it out for her for months.. At first, when she was playing with it (before she was 1 year old), I didn't turn any attention to the colors, it didn't matter and wasn't the purpose. Later, I sometimes tried to show her, demonstrate, that each stick fits with each color.. She thought it was cute, what I was doing, but didn't react to the colors much. Now, I have shown it again.. And she does seem to realize it now. For example, she does the same movement as I do.. trying to match the color with the stick, and it looks like she is stopping at the right color. However, then she again puts them in all the wrong holes. :)


As a spontaneous idea, I imagined to make her a color treasure basket! I had seen ones like that in some Montessori blogs. (Here is a good explanation.) It was even surprisingly easy, I found a bunch of red items in a couple of minutes. I tried to put there only such ones, that she doesn't use much elsewhere.


I introduced the basket.. She liked it. Was a bit confused, why her red socks are there.. And wanted to put them on. I gave her another socks. And overally, she was quite interested to look through all the different items in the basket. That's the point - I was just looking through the things with her, describing each thing - a red car, a red block, a red lego, a red ribbon.. She is free to explore them as she wishes, but she should notice the link - red. I'm going to have this basket out for her for a week at least, we'll see, if she will be interested in it. And later can make in other primary colors as well.

Comments

Popular Posts