Exhausted, but happy

..happy to be back home and happy to have had a great weekend, full of experiences!

We have survived a long weekend of traveling to Latvia, visiting and meeting a bunch of people, family and friends. Have gotten a dosage of fun interactions, now for a while can enjoy the peace of home again. :)

We left already early Friday morning. Never had attempted such an early drive, so I had no idea, how it will go. It's about 4 hour drive, so it's not easy. We left at about 8:30 in the morning. Adelaide usually sleeps until 9:30 (like clockwork), so we had to wake her up, she wasn't very happy about it. But she fell asleep in the car immediately and slept for 2,5 hours. Then we made a short stop to fill up the gas, and she woke up. Then she was awake for 1,5 hours. Being surprisingly happy, I was singing to her and entertaining her. She lost patience really in the last 5 minutes before our arrival.

We arrived straight to a party. And now I know it wasn't the best of planning, next time I will have to plan it differently, and anyway many things will do differently. 

Because.. She was perfectly happy and enjoying the party for like half an hour. But then, of course, she got tired. And was not that happy anymore.. Adelaide needs quite a lot of sleep in the first half of the day. In the evening she can be up for long (at least in a calm home environment), but not during the day. So I was so sorry for my little girl, she hadn't been so exhausted like ever, showed that she can scream too. (She does it so rarely.) So she had to go for a nap.

My poor tired child..

The party.. was one of 13 babies! :) All of Adelaide's little friends - from my little internet community of June babies and mothers. (There are 27 people, including me, in our FB community, and 13 attended the event..) You can count the babies.


It was fun. Quite overwhelming, of course. In the first half an hour that Adelaide actually enjoyed, she was really into it! She was playing and exploring, and totally forgot about me and didn't need me at all..


It was really interesting to see these babies, some of them we had met in November. They all had grown so much.

For the rest of the weekend - Adelaide got to meet her grandparents, and her only grand-grandmother, as well as her aunt and uncle. (My sister.) Even though she had met these people not so long ago - at New Years - and then she was totally fine and enjoying it, obviously she has grown and changed so much, that now she was reacting totally differently. She was looking at all the people with big eyes and a bit scared, grabbing onto me. Not overly scared though, she is still a brave little girl, and she got acquainted quickly again.

My fox - the one that I got when I was Adelaide's age

I was away from her for two evenings - about 4 hours each evening. Meeting my friends and also attending a theater in Riga (which was amazing). Adelaide was hanging with Mr. Husband, her daddy, and was totally fine and happy, of course, we have no problem in this area, as the father is 100% involved and can totally manage.
I enjoyed my girls-night out, it was nice. For like 3 hours. Then I really started to miss my baby and wanted to home to her already.. and then never leave her again. :D


There were some revelations, like when my friends were surprised that I'm hoping to breastfeed until 2 years at least. I know it was common (in generation of our parents) to breastfeed maximum until about 1 year, and I know that many still think that it's appropriate, and not much longer. Even educated women from my generation. Funny, because I never thought so. Even before I had read or researched anything. When I heard that some of my relatives and friends are breastfeeding until about 2 years (or even longer), I always found it completely normal. And when I hear about babies that weaned around the age of 10 months.. I find it hard to believe and I really wouldn't be ready for that.

And as for what I'd do differently.. Well, I start to notice, that traveling with her is getting harder. Not the car rides, but exactly strange and stressful environment. She still is coping quite well, but we are not making it easy.. Going from one gathering to another. I think we really have to start planning a lot more calm visits, staying more at one place, disrupting her daily rhythm less. Well.. That's the reality. And it's not going to get any easier in the future, I guess.

Comments

Popular Posts